Friday, April 21, 2006

digging for diamonds

Not long ago we went to Crater of Diamonds state park. I got my own bucket to carry dirt in. As soon as we found a spot to start digging, mama showed me how to use my bucket by putting a chunk of dirt in it. I completely misunderstood and thought she was putting food in the bucket, so I immediately pulled the chunk of dirt out of the bucket and put it in my mouth. Pretty soon my tongue was all gray and I was slobbering dirt. It was yucky. And mama wouldn't let me nurse to get it out of my mouth. She is very mean. Since I knew that the dirt was no fun to eat I got out my o's instead. I put them in the bucket and then dumped them all over the ground. I am sure that some other kids will find those o's and will be much more excited about them than some silly old diamond. Later I went with dada to wash out some of the dirt to see if there were any diamonds in it. There was a big mud puddle nearby and another little boy was playing in it. I was very excited about this and kept pointing at the puddle, so mama took off my shoes and my socks and rolled up my pants. I held her hand all the way over there because I did not want to go by myself. But once I felt the water on my toes I realized I did not want to play in the puddle after all. So we watched the other little boy play and then pretty soon I fell asleep in mama's lap and this is where I spent the rest of the afternoon. No diamonds for us but it was fun anyway.

Love, Elijah




2 comments:

Laurel said...

I forgot to ask you today how your trip to Hot Springs went. I guess good!

Unknown said...

It was fun! More camping pictures to come.